Today we discussed in more depth the run up to the exhibition. As I am curating our space with one other member of my group I think it will be best to make decisions on where the art work will be displayed on tuesday when we see the space and everyone brings their work. As everyone has ideas on how they want their work to be displayed. We have a rough idea of how it will be presented as we have a list of who needs wall space etc. To give our group visual continuity we have decided on the same layout of our artists statements which will be stuck next to our work. They will be on A5 cartridge paper in portrait all in the same font. Also, so that our group exhibition can be distinguished from the other groups exhibiting at the same time I will be producing printed material, which i feel will give our group an identity/brand. I did think it was the marketing teams to produce this but as it has not yet been done and the set up for the exhibition is 3 days away Ive taken on the role. Also as curator I think it will tie the group exhibition together visually with printed material that can be displayed and used as advertising.
Last week I also booked the Risograph for the designers to print there posters but there have been no further developments so i have emailed one of the designers, Amber who has designed a poster so that I can prepare the file digitally for the Riso and print tomorrow along with my leaflet/info sheet.
’- So the exhibition is at New Century House in the NOMA district. Our space is on the 3rd floor. There are 6 glass box rooms as well as the open space and each theme will have a glass room and section of floor.
- The ideal set up is to have the glass room as the screening space for the film students and stan and anyone else who needs the projectors etc.
- On Tuesday the space is being divided up by the staff using 6ft high cardboard screens which can be then used to hang work on. Work can also be hung from the ceiling away from these ‘walls’, or even hung from the ceiling but flush against the walls if the work is particularly heavy etc. The boards can also be slotted together to form corners if that’s what anyone needs.
If anyone has any really big pieces of work that is really heavy too, then there are some different spaces available downstairs apparently which are better for bigger, heavier stuff (but your work would be all alone and away from the rest of us waah)
- Other equipment will be supplied like fishing wire and velco fasteners etc for hanging work. There will also be vinyl grey lettering differentiating each separate theme group.
-10am - front of the art school (guessing it’s grosvenor) will be a van that will be taking the work over to the space. It’ll be doing a few trips. Rick advised that if anyone has large pieces of work, to maybe bring some smaller pieces along as backup just in case we can’t fit everything in. (Any work and equipment that isn’t used can be brought back in the van on Thursday.)
All work shown must be just from Unit X and not previous work.
- all work needs to be labelled with:
- there will then be some uni staff at the building to help take work upstairs and into our sections.
**At 1:00pm A couple of people from our group must also go (preferably curators/installation people) to help with this**
-Everyone goes to the building to help sort out the space and put all the work up. We should also have some time on Thursday to do this as well just in case some people haven’t finished etc.
- 5:00-6:00pm is a VIP opening which only us as artists in the exhibition can go to. There will be art gallery people there and also people from the city council etc.
-6:00-9:00pm is the public opening (so yeah we literally just have 3 hours of exhibition…)
- there will be a bar on the first floor and apparently we all get a free drink so hey maybe it wasn’t all for nothing
- Everyone goes back to the space to help take our work down and the van should be there again to help with this’